Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Girl Scout Mystery Swap Pins

The Girl Scouts, my daughter included and me, are going camping this coming week and the Girl Scouts are famous for their "swap pins."

Last year I joined Girl Scouts and went on my first camp out. The girls have this fun ritual of making and exchanging pins. This is called a pin swap. The pins can either be about the theme for the campout or something they decide on. You make 12 or more of the pins in the style your troop decides on and then you take them with you and swap with other girls from other troops. It ends up being a lot of fun for all the girls.

This year our camp theme is MYSTERY so I went looking on line to see what I could find and I found a few mystery themed swap pins and decided to make this one. There is a kit you are suppose to be able to buy to make this but I couldn't find it on the site so I had to come up with my own.


Here is what you need.

I drew up and printed out the cards. They are 2 inches by 1.5 inches. I used cardstock and had the girls glue the green to the white so they would be extra strong. The yarn was cut about 5 inches long.

You'll need scissors to cut out the front and backs and glue to glue them together, some type of ink pad  and a small hole puncher if available.

Write your troop number on the back side of the card and use an ink pad to put your fingerprint on the side that says CLUES.

Glue the front and back together and use the small hole punch or something sharp to punch a hole through the upper right hand corner of the side that says CLUES. Push your yarn through like above.
Lay the magnifying glass on top of the fingerprint and start wrapping the yarn back and forth around the smallest part of the handle, about three or four times. 

Pull the yarn taut and tie in a double knot on the back side of the card.

Attach your safety pin through the hole in the top of the magnifying glass and you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Lorby's World today and leaving a comment.